Oct 15, 2013

{Review} Through the Zombie Glass by Gena Showalter

Gena Showalter
Pages: 480
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: Hardcover
Source: Barnes & Noble
Age Group: Upper YA
Date Published: September 24, 2013

Inspired by the childhood classic Alice in Wonderland, this harrowing and romantic story features teen zombie slayer Alice Bell who has lost so much—family, friends, her home. After a strange new zombie attack, Alice fears she may be losing her mind as well. A terrible darkness blooms inside her, urging her to do wicked things. The whispers of the dead assault her ears and mirrors seem to come frighteningly to life. She’s never needed her team of zombie slayers more—including her boyfriend, Cole—than she does now. But as Cole strangely withdraws and the zombies gain new strength, Ali knows one false step may doom them all.


Do you remember that commercial with the lady who talks to her bicycle? She says "Bicycle, I've missed you."? I can't remember what the commercial is trying to sell, but I feel for my blog like she felt for her bicycle. I've been gone for so long, and I can't post very often and it makes me sad. School is INSANE. Like, wicked insane. I really should have gone easier on myself for senior year, but no. I just spent the past 8 or so hours doing homework and applying to college. Not. Fun.

However, I didn't do any of that homework earlier this weekend because of Through the Zombie Glass. I begged my mommy to buy it for me when we were at B&N on Saturday and she did (I have to pay her back, but whatever - I GOT THE BOOK). I was so excited to get the 2nd installment in Ali Bell's story! It was so dark, but fun to read. I'm really curious what the 3rd book's gonna be called, because Carroll only wrote 2 Alice books (I would know - I'm writing a paper on them). 

Anyways, the entire book is intense. I love Ali so much, and this book just reinforced my extremely passionate love for her character. She beats a lot of people up in this book, and it's perfect. I loved in the first book how she never let anyone walk on her, and she's even more bad-butt (as Kat and Ali would probably say) in this one. There's a point when Cole is a jerk to her, so she punches him in the face. She makes me want to take self-defense lessons, because there's a number of people who need a good punch in the face around me (figuratively...). She's so funny and she's really haunted in this one and I really wanna give her a hug. I really relate to her because she just speaks her mind all the time, like I do, but she reinforces it with her fists of fury if what she's saying doesn't get through. I love that. She's never a victim. She's so clever and works to get herself out of any bad situation she's in. She makes her own decisions and doesn't care what people think about her decisions. She also cares about people in need, and I think that's really important. 

I just have serious Ali Bell feels, man. 

I didn't get to see as much of my favorite whirlwind, Kat, as I would have liked - I think I mentioned in my review of Alice in Zombieland that I want a Kat book - but I still got to see her crazy antics and laugh at her jokes. They do a "humanitarian project" and tie get well soon balloons on roadkill, which was naturally Kat's idea. I love her constant breakups with Frosty. She gets mad at him once for something he did in one of her dreams, and he buys her flowers. How cute is that?! I just love them so much. I'm serious, though. If Gena Showalter is reading this - I want a Kat/Frosty book or story or something. I just think they're too darn cute. 

And Mackenzie is nice! And I like her! And it's so exciting! *dances* In fact, I really like all the slayers. They're so interesting and great and wonderful. 

Cole is a really dynamic character too in this book. I loved him bunches in the first book (I wanna buy that one now so I can read it again... and again), but he's different in this one. We see more of his vulnerable side and his sweet side than we did before. We also see what a jerk he can be, but it's somewhat justified. Ali punching him in the face was justified, too, though. I love his tatoos and his hair and his face and that... piercing. I just love me some Cole Holland. He's such a cutie pie. Goodness. And he's nice to Nana. All the boys are, and that's just so cute.

Basically, this book gave me boatloads of feels and everyone needs to read this series. Zombies are cool, guys.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...