Oct 1, 2012

Unspoken

Sarah Rees Brennan
Pages: 370
Publisher: Random House
Format: Harcover
Source: Library
Age Group: Young Adult
Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)Date Published: September 11, 2012

Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.But all that changes when the Lynburns return.
The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?




Wow. So lemme say that I had super high expectations for this book. The cover is beautiful, the synopsis sounds amazing- all this even before I knew who Sarah Rees Brennan was. And then I followed her on Twitter and Tumblr and realized how amazing she is and how awesome her writing must be. Then I read The Demon's Lexicon, and liked it, but didn't totally love it. Still did not deter my expectations of Unspoken.

And lovelies? Guess what? This book lived HIGHER than my expectations. The writing was ingenious and incredibly witty. The characters were so loveable and relateable and I really connected with them. And then the ending tore my heart to little shreds- usually an author waits until the second book to kill your soul. Nope. Not Sarah Rees Brennan. She murdered my heart with the first book, and I love her for it. I love the emotional ending, I feel like it shows exactly how connected you are to a book. And boy was I connected to Unspoken.

Kami is that girl I am in my head- cute, witty, British, and all with the greatest wardrobe known to man. She had the greatest comebacks and just always said the perfect witty things. I really, truly do want to be her. She's so awesome. Here have a quote (I promise there will be more at the end):

"Because if you drank four glasses of lemonade you would explode," Kami said, "Dad would come downstairs and ask, 'Where is my youngest born?' and I could only point to the floor, where all that remained of you would be a pool of lemonade and heap of sweetened entrails. You can have one glass of lemonade." 

Isn't she funny? I just kind of loved her insanely dry sense of humor. It constantly made me laugh out loud. And she often used the word canoodle, which is like the greatest word in the English language. You cannot fathom the amount of love I have for her!!

And then there was Jared. Poor, sweet, possibly deranged Jared. He was the most amazing of the amazing, even if he was kinda crazy. He made me happy. There was this one scene where he had to provide a distraction, and Kami told him to fake a break-up, but all he had was his male cousin, so he pretended they were a couple and started yelling at him for sleeping with their personal trainer. It was great. And then Kami and Jared together were like two pieces of the world's most epic banterific puzzle:

"Is the quarry called Really Depressed Quarry?"
"Yes," Kami answered. "And I live on the Street of Certain Doom."

And then, all the other characters were freaking hilarious also, like Kami's dad. He was soooooo funny!!!

"Kami, I know all the other kids are throwing themselves down wells now, but your mother and I have a firm policy of no danger sports until you're eighteen." 

And Holly and Angela were great, too. Holly was gorgeous and she knew it, and knew how to use it, and Angela hated all people in general and was obsessed with sleeping. I mean, for Angela, everywhere was a potential nap spot. She and her brother were always asleep. It was great.

And that cover? Even more gorgeous in person!!!! I am seriously considering buying myself a copy because it is so gorgeous and would look great on my bookshelf.... even though I'm kind of running out of room....

And the back of the cover is  CRAZY pretty, too. It has a Jared silhouette! I love Jared! :D

So, duh, I love this book and there was not a single thing that I would change about it, because it was awesome. Obviously a 5 star book.


So, if you have eyes and can read- go read Unspoken. It's amazing. Oh, I promised you more quotes didn't I? Well, here you go:

"I should hope not, I'm not anybody's girl," Jared raised an eyebrow.

"As in boyfriend and girlfriend?" Kami pursued. "Sweethearts? Who canoodle?"

"Jared," Angela commented. "Like that imaginary friend you have, Jared?"
"I used to have an imaginary friend when I was seven," Holly contributed. "A unicorn called Princess Zelda."

"I can try to wheedle information out of people," Holly offered. "For which I'll need a lower-cut top."

"Oh my God, Jared. Don't tough talk the lambs."

"Mmm floor cookie."

"I am fascinated by gardening," Kami agreed solemnly. "Tell me about fertilizer, Ash."
"I dunno, we haven't known each other that long, that's kind of racy talk," said Ash.

'Some people, Kami knew, had bedroom eyes. She was saddened to admit that Jared had filthy alleyway eyes.'

"This is a very exciting place. They hold duck races here."

"Aren't you supposed to be some sort of delinquent criminal?" Angela asked Jared.
"I do have aspirations that way," Jared answered. "Yes."

Aren't they just too funny? Yes? Go read it, then! :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...