Oct 25, 2012

Before I Wake

Rachel Vincent
Pages: 304
Publisher: Halequin Teen
Format: ebook
Source: Library
Age Group: Young Adult
Before I Wake (Soul Screamers, #6)Date Published: June 26, 2012

I died on a Thursday—killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul.The good news? He didn't get it.The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school…
Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is muchharder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent“recovering,” she’s back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend.
But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaimstolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won’t keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life…


If you were already a fan of the Soul Screamers series, (AND TOD) obviously, you're gonna like this one. It's written in much the same way as the first 5, but a lot of old characters are, ah, reintroduced and used in this one, so that was different. Also, this one is the first one with Kaylee and Tod as a real couple, and showing the aftermath of her death, and her breakup with Nash. OH, and Sabine is actually likeable, in this one!!! (Hell may have frozen over.... unless you've read The Inferno, and in that case it may have melted? heh nerd joke).

Any way, Kaylee is a new member of this "Reclamation Department," and has many of the same abilities as the reapers, except her job is to "reclaim" stolen souls, and set them free. We see a whole bunch of Kaylee/Tod romance (yay!) and how that dynamic plays out seeing as they are both technically dead. Avari is back and badder than ever, and he's made some... friends? (can demons have friends?) who help him do bad things to Kaylee & co. Mixed in with that is her daddy tryin' to maintain their normal lifestyle and try to make up for the time he lost with her when he left. And it all ends with a really cliff-hangery scene, which made me totally desperate for With all my Soul.

So, Kaylee is a little different than she used to be. Which, I mean, is normal, seeing as she kind of died and now has to struggle with appearing alive.... and just appearing (she happens to accidentally disappear a couple times). She's way more daring and reckless, and I really liked it. And then TOD. Oh my gosh, please cue fangirling. I LOVE him. He's crazy protective and caring, and he would literally do anything for Kaylee. Plus, he's hot. And there's this one conversation he has with Kaylee's parental unit that made my heart melt- and I didn't even think I had one left to melt. That is exactly how amazing Tod is.

Oh, and you know how I totally used to hate Sabine? Now that she isn't trying to steal Kaylee's boyfriend, she's actually a really funny character. She hates Sophie, and it's totally great. I love her, actually. She is kind of a trollop, though. OH, and that cover is gorgeous! Y'all know I love me some pink.

So, overall, I'm gonna give it a 4, since it is really similar to the other ones, and there are a couple evil, spoilery things that I am confused about. That I'm not gonna tell you about. :) But, I still loved it, because of Tod.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...