Sep 10, 2012

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Wendy Higgins
Pages: 453
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Paperback
Source: Library
Age Group: Young Adult
Date Published: May 1, 2012

Embrace the Forbidden. What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences? This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels. Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna. Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?

I just finished this book and my brain is all mushy from its sheer awesomeness. It was so sexy and fantastic and I LOVE KAIDEN. I gotta admit, though, that I had originally thought I'd hate it. I mean, Anna was such a good girl and I thought that might make her boring or immature, and, while she was kind of immature (maybe overly innocent is a better term hmm?), she definitely wasn't boring and her innocence totally added to her charm (even though she doesn't look exactly innocent on the cover!). She was adorable. And the story was so fun and it was overall a really great read!

So, Anna Whitt is a goody two shoes who can't even handle the thought of drugs or alcohol, and she keeps her and her best friend, Jay, on the straight-and-narrow. She is Christian and just your essential "good girl." Enter Kaiden (pronounced Ky- den). He is danger in hott (yes, it needs both t's) boy form. He has what we humans would call a scary reputation (not that he's violent... just a man-ho). Unfortunately for Anna, she gets the serious hots for him- before she learns that they're both descendants of fallen angels. Yeah.... and guess who Kaiden's daddy is? The one and only demon of Lust. Together, they make a seriously dangerous couple. I loved this story because it wasn't just about the romance, it had suspense and danger and family and love and a lot of overcoming vices and other bad things in life. I loved it. The only thing I didn't totally love was the love-triangle that sprouted up kind of suddenly near the end. It was weird and kind of and insta-love thing, but it wasn't really love? I dunno, but I really hope that it's explained better in Sweet Hope.

Now the characters were pretty interesting. I mean, Anna definitely made some mistakes, but, come on, she was stuck on a road trip with a half-demon of lust. (It doesn't get really dirty, though, I promise) She couldn't help but make some slip ups in her otherwise perfect persona. Although it did bug me how quickly she got close to Kopano, because people who are just friends don't become friends that quickly, let alone be interested in each other. Other than that she was a sweet heroine, and I liked her. Kaiden was definitely my favorite, though. He was gorgeous and funny and dangerous, but you got to see some of his tenderness come through, and I really loved that. He was fantastic at hiding his feelings, so I definitely have an itty bitty speck of doubt (but come on, this is YA romance, he's gotta change eventually and then he and Anna will be in love and together forever.) about how he feels about Anna (well, more about whether or not he's the good guy I think he is on the inside). And I loved him so, so much.

I also really like a lot of the minor characters. Ginger was my favorite, because she was so icy and a lot like myself towards new people (I really hope she has something less mean on the inside, though). I liked all the other Neph kids a lot, too, though! I also really loved Anna's dad, because he regretted all his mistakes and wanted the best for his daughter, and he was just kind of an awesome father for her (although, this is kind of ironic since he kind of is a demon...).

I definitely give this book 4.5 out of 5 'staches, if only because Kaiden was the epitome of perfect. But, really, this book was great and my only problem with it was the little love-triangle that sprung up that I found kind of weird! But, yeah, read it!!! Definitely a book for you if you enjoyed Hush, Hush and it had a little bit of a Halo-esque style (but is considerably better than Halo). Or if you are looking for a fun YA paranormal romance.



Side note: For those of you who are like "uhhh where'd the Pepto-Bismol pink go?" I am super happy to say that my blog is currently being re-designed by the amazing Ishita (Her design site can be found here) and... yeah. So that's where all the pink went. (I personally think this looks MUCH more professional and pretty :D)

Also, go enter my giveaway! You could win one of my favorite books, or a pre-order of a book in the series of one of my favorite books, or an already released book in the series of one of my favorite books! Go enter here :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic



4 comments:

  1. I love Hush, Hush and pretty much anything to do with angels, so I'm definitely interested in reading Sweet Evil. Kaiden seems like my kind of guy, I have a soft spot for bad boys, but I'm glad to hear that Kaiden's sensitive side shows too. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it and I'm really curious to read it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!!! Will definitely look out for your review :D

      Delete
  2. Haha, glad you liked this, Megan :D When I read the blurb, I thought it wouldn't be my thing but then virtually everyone seemed to love it so I'm not abandoning ideas of reading it just yet! I'm excited to meet Kaiden when I get my hands on this book :D

    Great review, Megan :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this book! probably one of the best book I've read this year. I love Kaidan, I have the hots on him! He's just irresistible don't you think? I can't agree more with the things you said... though I haven't read Halo... yet but I don't think i'll read it soon... i'm hearing more of not good things about it :/

    ~Jay
    We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...