Aug 21, 2012

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles #2)
Kady Cross

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)

In New York City, 1897, life has never been more thrilling - or dangerous.
Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper, hauled off by bounty hunters. But Jasper is in the clutches of a devious former friend demanding a trade-the dangerous device Jasper stole from him...for the life of the girl Jasper loves.
One false move from Jasper and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens. And tightens.
 I'd forgotten how much I loved this world. The machines, the weird "evolutions," all set in Victorian England (well, sort of, they are in America for this one, but you know what I mean). I love Finley Jayne and her band of misfits. It's just so fun, you know?

So, I don't really think I can do my typical summary, because everything is kind of spoilery. I can say that the plot is intricate, twisted, dangerous, and kind of awesome. Finley never just sits on the sidelines; she goes out and does what she has to to get things done. I think that's what really made this book. She was biggest driver in everything, and she doesn't really fear anything, so she'll do anything. It's amazing. There are a lot of big plot twists (starting like a chapter into the book) and that's always fun and interesting. Especially when you don't see them coming.

I seriously just love Finley. She is amazing. With her super-strength and all she kind of reminds me of a 19th century Hulk, except she stays little and cute while she kicks your butt. She's snarky and funny, and always knows the right thing to say (well, for her desired outcome). She can act and she can be real. She's sometimes a little dangerous and stupid, but she doesn't lose her head. She's also brutally honest, and I liked that about her. Then there was Griffin. I love Griffin. He was always my favorite and I just like him a whole lot, okay? He's protective and proper (usually) and he knows how to handle Finley (he just doesn't always use that knowledge). I loved that he never made assumptions, he let Finley decide on everything. He was never like "Oh, yeah, she's definitely in love with me," because he simply didn't know and wasn't about to jinx himself. I loved Emily, too. She's brilliant and sweet and caring, and she made a great secondary character. Jasper was another of my favorite characters. He was funny and a great fighter. There comes a point in the book where you just really have to feel for the guy, and I think that might be part of the reason why I like him so much. Sam was in this one too, I just didn't like him very much. 

The only person missing was Jack Dandy, and I kind of wish he had been a bigger part of the story, only because I feel like Kady Cross created a love triangle in the first one, and then dropped it in the second. However, I never did like Jack, so it wasn't that big of a deal that he wasn't there.

The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1)
The cover is very pretty, but I do like the cover of The Girl in the Steel Corset better, just because of the coloring, I guess, and the dress. I love the dress on the first cover so much, that I had a hard time loving the second as much.


All in all, I give The Girl in the Clockwork Collar 4.5 stars. The only thing I really saw wrong with it was that Jack Dandy wasn't in it, but, like I said, I never liked him so it's not much of a loss for me. :) This is a great, fun series and I highly suggest reading it. Especially if you like kick-butt heroines who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and proper English gentlemen. 

I haven't been reading a whole lot lately. Well, not books I actually enjoy. You see, I found out I'm going to have to write an essay on East of Eden possibly on the first day of school (which is in less than a week), and I am not even halfway through. It stinks. I must persist though, and hopefully I'll get it done and be able to make it through my ever increasing stack. 

<end transmission>

1 comment:

  1. I love the book cover! Great Review! Sounds like you really enjoyed this read!
    Follower!

    http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...