Aug 13, 2012

Team Human

Justine Larbalestier & Sarah Rees Brennan
Pages: 352
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library
Age Group: Young Adult
Date Published: July 3, 2012

Just because Mel lives in New Whitby, a city founded by vampires, doesn't mean she knows any of the blood-drinking undead personally. They stay in their part of town; she says in hers. Until the day a vampire shows up at her high school. Worse yet, her best friend, Cathy, seems to be falling in love with him. It's up to Mel to save Cathy from a mistake she might regret for all eternity
On top of trying to help Cathy (whether she wants it or not), Mel is investigating a mysterious disappearance for another friend and discovering the attractions of a certain vampire wannabe. Combine all this with a cranky vampire cop, a number of unlikely romantic entanglements, and the occasional zombie, and soon Mel is hip-deep in an adventure that is equal parts hilarious and touching.
Acclaimed authors Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan team up to create a witty and poignant story of cool vampires, warm friendships, and the changes that test the bonds of love.

Aww Team Human was so cute!!! It was funny and cute and suspenseful and super interesting! The characters were sweet and funny and plot was nice and twisty and it was just really cute.

Yeah, like the plot summary thingy says- the vampire shows up at school, Mel doesn't like him, and Cathy likes him a little too much. Mel's friend Anna had been hurt pretty badly by a vampire (sort of indirectly) and Mel just kind of thinks they're bad news. So, Mel decides to try and talk Cathy out of Francis (*giggle* that's the vamp. It's also my daddy's name), and while she's doing that, she's also trying to figure out why Anna's mom is acting strangely. The two problems kind of collide, and everyone ends up in her (their?) little (actually it's kind of big) entanglement. Because Mel is the Fixer of Things, and she must Fix (yes, capital F) both issues. Unfortunately she is neither rational under duress (the prospect of your BFF dating a vampire kinda does that to you) nor is she a very good detective, so she needs a lotta help. The whole story is really funny and really cute, but also very touching. I found myself laughing a lot and then ending up on the edge of my seat wanting to know what happens next! Team Human combined the perfect amount of humor, romance, and suspense. It was fantastic.

So, I kind of adored Mel. And not just because her sense of humor was similar to mine (it leans on the meaner side). She wanted to fix everything for her friends and make things better for them. She was witty and smart, but she knew when to back off. She wasn't quite as smart as her friends, but she had people skills when they did not (which is actually very realistic. the super nerdy kids are often the most awkward. I would know.). She was just all kinds of awesome. I really liked her friend Anna, because she was logical and bookish, and was rational under duress. She was the brains of the group. Cathy was adorable, but she did kinda get on my nerves a little bit. She used too many big words and wasn't exactly present all the time, if you know what I mean. She was kind of in her own world of Shakespeare and chivalry, which is fine, just annoying. I did like her, though. Kit was definitely my second favorite character (you know, after Mel). Kit is in fact a boy (not an American Girl doll... isn't there a movie about her?). He's kind of Mel's boy, whether she'll admit it or not. He's cute and funny, with the right parts of awkward. He doesn't have any people skills (kind of a result of his upbringing), but it works for him. He's very candid and just kind of blurts out what he's thinking. I liked that a lot. Francis the vampire was interesting, minus the fact that he shares a name with my dad... just can't get over that. He acted more like he was 40 than 17 (which kinda makes sense.... he's like 200 years old or something), but so did Cathy, so they worked ok. I wouldn't date him, that's for sure. Anyways, all the characters together were kinda awesome. They all just kind of clicked in a way that made the book hilarious and sweet... at the same time.

I dig the cover. It's like super cute and fits the comical feel of the book. Also, cover-Mel looks totally determined. And cover- Francis & cover-Cathy look.... well like themselves. Nerdy and haven't seen the sunlight in a while (Francis more so...)

Anyways, I loved this book. Like a lot. definitely giving it 5 stars. It was funny and touching and you should read it. :D I haven't eaten in a while so my brain feels weird and this might not all make sense and I'm using and a lot....


My poor eating habits aside, you should read this book. But first, you should enter my giveaway! :) I'll post my Bout of Books updates tonight, too.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

3 comments:

  1. Hey again! I just read your Bout of Books post and you mentioned this review and your poor reading habits and the "lack of eloquence" and just had to check out your review - congrats! You kept me laughing throughout the whole post :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that just made my day!!! Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Good review! Sounds like an interesting read! New follower. found you on goodreads!

    http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...