Aug 2, 2012

Slide

Jill Hathaway
Slide (Slide, #1)
Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth—her sister’s friend Sophie didn’t kill herself. She was murdered.
Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn’t actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else’s mind and experiences the world through that person’s eyes. She’s slid into her sister as she cheated on a math test, into a teacher sneaking a drink before class. She learned the worst about a supposed “friend” when she slid into her during a school dance. But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie’s slashed body.
Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds so crazy that she can’t bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police. Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting off lately, more distant, especially now that she’s been spending more time with Zane.

Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again.
 Can I just say that I didn't realize until just now that that was a face on the cover? I honestly thought it was just a bunch of pretty squiggles. My perceptive skills are extraordinary... Anyways this was a very interesting book. Lots of twists and turns and high school romance and gory deaths. The blurb from Goodreads has everything in it, so I don't really see the need for me to give my summary of the plot. The idea of Vee being able to "slide" into other people's bodies was quite creative. The writing style reminded my a little bit of Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready, just because of the way Vee and Zane's romance flowed. The plot was enjoyable, a little freaky with the dying and stuff, but that was kind of the point. 


I kind of liked Vee, but she seemed a little like she was going out of her way to be weird. I mean, with the pink hair and never really talking to people, she seemed kind of snooty. I understand that's because of the way she grew up and her ability, I just think that she could have tried a little harder to not have people dislike her. (I do kind of relate to the whole her getting picked on by the cheerleader she used to be friends with, because that has happened to me) I did adore Rollins, though. I loved the way they became friends (he kind of rescued her). He was such a good guy, and I liked that. Vee's sister, Mattie, was kind of annoying, but she wasn't that bad of a person, and she did get better and grow up a bit as the book progressed. I think that's what all the characters kind of did, though. Every one changed for the better, or became a little bit more mature by the end of the book. That definitely made me curious about the next one. 


That cover is super gorgeous. I love the light and way her face is illuminated like that. It totally fits the overall feel of the book.


It wasn't a terrible book, but because I didn't really get attached to it, I'm giving it 3 stars. I think that if you liked the Shade series, you should give this one a chance, and it definitely had an interesting story and idea, it just wasn't for me. 


<end transmission>

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I've been wanting to read this book for a while!
    Also, I've just nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award on my blog! You can check out your nomination here! :)
    ~Joie @ Joie de Lire

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...